If you've never played basic strategy because you were worried it was too difficult to learn, then you might be surprised with how easy it really is. It's a simple process which involves the following:
1. Never deviate from basic strategy to follow a hunch.
2. If you have 8 or less, hit
3. If you have a 9 hit, or if the dealer has 3, 4, 5, or 6, then double.
4. If you have a 10 hit, or if the dealer has 2 to 9, then double.
5. If you have 11, then double, or hit if the dealer has an ace.
6. If you have 12 hit, unless the dealer has 4 to 6, then stand
7. If you have 13 to 16 hit unless the dealer has 2 to 6, then stand
8. If you have 17 to 21, always stand!
9. Avoid alcohol as to remain clear headed.
10. Ignore the behavior of other players.